The End of 2016 - Lessons Learned

Well, folks, this will be my last post of the year. I've certainly not been as consistent as I would have liked, but it has been a year full of ups and downs so I think I did okay overall. I know this has been a tough year for a lot of people, and the world is still reeling from the many deaths of famous people whose talents we have enjoyed. I experienced this on a more personal level as well with the loss of my grandmother early on in the year. More than that though, I'd like to think I've learned a lot about myself this year.

I've learned to be a better friend. (I hope.)
I had a falling out with a friend early in the year. In my younger days, I would have responded in anger, and let that anger destroy our friendship completely. Instead, we still talk, albeit not as frequently as before, and I still care deeply for her and try my best to help her when I can. I still mourn the fact that a case of miscommunication led to the disagreement at all, but I'd like to think I handled it better than 16 year old me would have.

I've learned more about my panic attacks.
This has been both a blessing and a curse. As I've faced the memories that caused the panic, the attacks have become more frequent. But in dealing with each individual trigger, the attacks have lost some of their potency. In fact, it has been months since one has caused me to black out completely. I have to give most of the credit to Killian who's amazing support has helped me work through these memories.

I've learned (what I need to do) to be a better writer.
Outlines. This has been lurking in my mind for quite some time, but it's time to face reality: I really need to make outlines or I'm never going to stick with writing in sequence. And when I don't write in sequence, I muddle up details far too much, making me dread the revision stage so much I never start it. Or really finish the first draft at all.
Also, I discovered that if I take a long break from writing (aka, most of the year), it takes me a while to find my writing voice again, and to convince my characters to actually talk to me.

So, what did you learn this year? Let me know!
I'll fill you in on my latest writing projects next time. For now, I hope you all have a fun and safe New Year's!

~Belle


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: Trouble in Bookland

The War to End All Wars - Why We Remember

Writing Schedules